CARAMEL APPLE EMPANADAS
Like individual-size apple pies! They make tasty desserts but eating them for breakfast with some vanilla ice cream is the way to go.
- 1 box pre-made frozen pie crusts (usually contains 2 crusts)
- 5-6 large apples
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (half-and-half also works)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
1. Preheat the oven to 415 degrees. Set the pie crusts out to thaw.
2. To make the caramel sauce: Place 1 cup of the sugar in a small, heavy saucepan and pour 1/4 cup water over the top. Set over medium-high heat and swirl the saucepan around until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear. Don’t let it boil until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Increase the heat to high, cover the saucepan tightly, and boil the syrup for 2 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and continue to boil until the syrup starts to darken around the edges. Gently swirl the pan by the handle until the syrup turns a deep amber and starts to smoke.
4. Remove the syrup from the heat and add the butter, cut into small pieces. Gently beat until the butter is incorporated.
5. Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Set aside (leftover sauce can be refrigerated for up to a month).
6. Peel the apples and cut them up into small chunks. In a large bowl, add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and the flour to the apples and mix thoroughly.
7. Unroll each pie crust and divide into 4 equal sections. Place a spoonful of caramel sauce on each section. Add a portion of the apple chunks, and drizzle more caramel sauce on top. Fold each section of pie crust over and pinch the edges together.
8. Make cuts in the top of each empanada. Bake at 415 degrees for 12 minutes, and then lower the heat to 350 and bake 30 more minutes or until the edges of the crusts are golden brown and the apples are cooked through.